Meaning of accordion
Pronunciation: (u-kôr'dē-un), [key]
— n. Music.
- Also calleda portable wind instrument having a large bellows for forcing air through small metal reeds, a keyboard for the right hand, and buttons for sounding single bass notes or chords for the left hand.
- a similar instrument having single-note buttons instead of a keyboard.
- having a fold or folds like the bellows of an accordion: accordion roof; accordion panel.
- (of a door, roof, or other covering) to open by folding back or pressing together in the manner of an accordion: The roof of the car accordions to let in sunlight and fresh air.
- to fold, crush together, or collapse in the manner of an accordion.
- to demolish by crushing together lengthwise: The impact accordioned the car beneath the truck.
- accordion (Thesaurus)