Meaning of advertise
Pronunciation: (ad'vur-tīz", ad"vur-tīz'), [key]
— v., -tised, -tis•ing.
- to announce or praise (a product, service, etc.) in some public medium of communication in order to induce people to buy or use it: to advertise a new brand of toothpaste.
- to give information to the public about; announce publicly in a newspaper, on radio or television, etc.: to advertise a reward.
- to call attention to, in a boastful or ostentatious manner: Stop advertising yourself!
- to give notice, advice, or information to; inform: I advertised him of my intention.
- to admonish; warn.
- to ask for something by placing a notice in a newspaper, over radio or television, etc.: to advertise for a house to rent.
- to offer goods for sale or rent, solicit funds, etc., by means of advertisements: It pays to advertise.
- Poker.to bluff so as to make the bluff obvious.
- Rummy.to discard a card in order to induce an opponent to discard one of the same suit or denomination.
- advertise (Thesaurus)