agglutination: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-glt"n-ā'shun), [key]
- the act or process of uniting by glue or other tenacious substance.
- the state of being thus united; adhesion of parts.
- that which is united; a mass or group cemented together.
- the clumping of bacteria, red blood cells, or other cells, due to the introduction of an antibody.
- a process of word formation in which morphemes, each having one relatively constant shape, are combined without fusion or morphophonemic change, and in which each grammatical category is typically represented by a single morpheme in the resulting word, esp. such a process involving the addition of one or more affixes to a base, as in Turkish, in which ev means “house,” ev-den means “from a house,” and ev-ler-den means “from houses.”
- agglutination (Thesaurus)