ante: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (an'tē), [key]
— n., v., -ted -teed, -te•ing.
- a fixed but arbitrary stake put into the pot by each player before the deal.
- an amount of money paid in advance to insure an individual's share in a joint business venture.
- an individual's share of the total expenses incurred by a group.
- the price or cost of something.
- to put (one's initial stake) into the pot.
- to produce or pay (one's share) (usually fol. by up): He anted up his half of the bill.
- to put one's initial stake into the pot.
- to pay (usually fol. by up).
- a prefix meaning “before,” used in the formation of compound words: anteroom; antebellum; antedate.
- ante (Thesaurus)