anterior: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (an-tēr'ē-ur), [key]
- situated before or at the front of; fore (opposed to posterior).
- going before in time or sequence; preceding; earlier: events anterior to the outbreak of war.
- (in distinctive feature analysis) articulated in the region extending from the alveolar ridge to the lips; alveolar, dental, or labial.
- (in animals and embryos) pertaining to or toward the head or forward end of the body.
- (in humans) pertaining to or toward the front plane of the body, equivalent to the ventral surface of quadrupeds.
- on the front side and away from the main axis, as the lower lip of a flower.
- anterior (Thesaurus)