Meaning of application
Pronunciation: (ap"li-kā'shun), [key]
- the act of putting to a special use or purpose: the application of common sense to a problem.
- the special use or purpose to which something is put: a technology having numerous applications never thought of by its inventors.
- the quality of being usable for a particular purpose or in a special way; relevance: This has no application to the case.
- the act of requesting.
- a written or spoken request or appeal for employment, admission, help, funds, etc.: to file an application for admission to a university.
- a form to be filled out by an applicant, as for a job or a driver's license.
- close attention; persistent effort: Application to one's studies is necessary.
- an act or instance of spreading on, rubbing in, or bringing into contact: the application of a compress to a wound; a second application of varnish.
- a salve, ointment, or the like, applied as a soothing or healing agent.
- a type of job or problem that lends itself to processing or solution by computer: Inventory control is a common business application.
- application (Thesaurus)