Meaning of aristocracy
Pronunciation: (ar"u-stok'ru-sē), [key]
— pl. -cies.
- a class of persons holding exceptional rank and privileges, esp. the hereditary nobility.
- a government or state ruled by an aristocracy, elite, or privileged upper class.
- government by those considered to be the best or most able people in the state.
- a governing body composed of those considered to be the best or most able people in the state.
- any class or group considered to be superior, as through education, ability, wealth, or social prestige.
- aristocracy (Thesaurus)