asphalt: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (as'fôlt or, esp. Brit., -falt), [key]
- any of various dark-colored, solid, bituminous substances, native in various areas of the earth and composed mainly of hydrocarbon mixtures.
- a similar substance that is the by-product of petroleum-cracking operations.
- a mixture of such substances with gravel, crushed rock, or the like, used for paving.
- to cover or pave with asphalt.
- of, pertaining to, or containing asphalt: asphalt tile.
- asphalt (Thesaurus)