Meaning of assimilation
Pronunciation: (u-sim"u-lā'shun), [key]
- the act or process of assimilating; state or condition of being assimilated.
- the conversion of absorbed food into the substance of the body.
- the total process of plant nutrition, including photosynthesis and the absorption of raw materials.
- the merging of cultural traits from previously distinct cultural groups, not involving biological amalgamation.
- the act or process by which a sound becomes identical with or similar to a neighboring sound in one or more defining characteristics, as place of articulation, voice or voicelessness, or manner of articulation, as infor grandpa. Cf. dissimilation (def. 2).
- assimilation (Thesaurus)