Meaning of asterisk
Pronunciation: (as'tu-risk), [key]
- a small starlike symbol (*), used in writing and printing as a reference mark or to indicate omission, doubtful matter, etc.
- the figure of a star (*) used to mark utterance that would be considered ungrammatical or otherwise unacceptable by native speakers of a language, as in * I enjoy to ski.
- the figure of a star (*) used to mark a hypothetical or reconstructed form that is not attested in a text or inscription.
- something in the shape of a star or asterisk.
- to mark with an asterisk.
- asterisk (Thesaurus)