Meaning of attention
Pronunciation: (n.u-ten'shuninterj.u-ten&secshun'), [key]
- the act or faculty of attending, esp. by directing the mind to an object.
- a concentration of the mind on a single object or thought, esp. one preferentially selected from a complex, with a view to limiting or clarifying receptivity by narrowing the range of stimuli.
- a state of consciousness characterized by such concentration.
- a capacity to maintain selective or sustained concentration.
- observant care; consideration: Individual attention is given to each child.
- civility or courtesy: attention to a guest.
- notice or awareness: His deliberate cough caught the waiter's attention.
- acts of courtesy or devotion indicating affection, as in courtship.
- an erect position with eyes to the front, arms to the sides, and heels together (often used as a command).
- attention (Thesaurus)