avalanche: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (av'u-lanch", -länch"), [key]
— n., v., -lanched, -lanch•ing.
- a large mass of snow, ice, etc., detached from a mountain slope and sliding or falling suddenly downward.
- anything like an avalanche in suddenness and overwhelming quantity: an avalanche of misfortunes; an avalanche of fan mail.
- Also calleda cumulative ionization process in which the ions and electrons of one generation undergo collisions that produce a greater number of ions and electrons in succeeding generations.
- to come down in, or like, an avalanche.
- to overwhelm with an extremely large amount of anything; swamp.
- avalanche (Thesaurus)