Meaning of being
Pronunciation: (bē'ing), [key]
- the fact of existing; existence (as opposed to nonexistence).
- conscious, mortal existence; life: Our being is as an instantaneous flash of light in the midst of eternal night.
- substance or nature: of such a being as to arouse fear.
- something that exists: inanimate beings.
- a living thing: strange, exotic beings that live in the depths of the sea.
- a human being; person: the most beautiful being you could imagine.
- (cap.) God.
- that which has actuality either materially or in idea.
- absolute existence in a complete or perfect state, lacking no essential characteristic; essence.
- since; because; considering that (often fol. by as, as how, or that): Being it's midnight, let's go home. Being as how you cooked supper, I'll do the dishes.
- being (Thesaurus)