Meaning of benediction
Pronunciation: (ben"i-dik'shun), [key]
- an utterance of good wishes.
- the form of blessing pronounced by an officiating minister, as at the close of divine service.
- a ceremony by which things are set aside for sacred uses, as a church, vestments, or bells.
- (usually cap.) Also calleda service consisting of prayers, at least one prescribed hymn, censing of the congregation and the Host, and a blessing of the congregation by moving in the form of a cross the ciborium or monstrance containing the Host.
- the advantage conferred by blessing; a mercy or benefit.
- benediction (Thesaurus)