Meaning of bet
Pronunciation: (bet), [key]
— v., n. bet bet•ted, bet•ting,
- to wager with (something or someone).
- to make a wager: Do you want to bet?
- of course! surely!: You bet I'd like to be there!
- a pledge of a forfeit risked on some uncertain outcome; wager: Where do we place our bets?
- that which is pledged: a two-dollar bet.
- something that is bet on, as a competitor in a sporting event or a number in a lottery: That horse looks like a good bet.
- an act or instance of betting: It's a bet, then?
- a person, plan of action, etc., considered as being a good alternative; choice: Your best bet is to sell your stocks now.
Pronunciation: (bāt bet), [key]
- Black Entertainment Television (a cable television channel).
- bet (Thesaurus)