Meaning of black belt
Pronunciation: (blak' belt" for 1, 2 blak' belt', belt" for 3, 4), [key]
- (caps.) a narrow belt of dark-colored, calcareous soils in central Alabama and Mississippi highly adapted to agriculture, esp. the growing of cotton.
- the area of a city or region inhabited primarily by blacks.
- a black cloth waistband conferred upon a participant in one of the martial arts, as judo or karate, to indicate a degree of expertise of the highest rank.
- a person who has obtained such rank.
- the rank itself. Cf. brown belt, white belt.
- a person proficient in some particular skill or endeavor; expert.
- black belt (Thesaurus)