Meaning of bonus
Pronunciation: (bō'nus), [key]
— pl. -nus•es.
- something given or paid over and above what is due.
- a sum of money granted or given to an employee, a returned soldier, etc., in addition to regular pay, usually in appreciation for work done, length of service, accumulated favors, etc.
- something free, as an extra dividend, given by a corporation to a purchaser of its securities.
- a premium paid for a loan, contract, etc.
- something extra or additional given freely: Every purchaser of a pound of coffee received a box of cookies as a bonus.
- bonus (Thesaurus)