Meaning of buff
- a soft, thick, light-yellow leather with a napped surface, originally made from buffalo skin but later also from other skins, used for making belts, pouches, etc.
- a brownish-yellow color; tan.
- a buff stick or buff wheel.
- a devotee or well-informed student of some activity or subject: Civil War buffs avidly read the new biography of Grant.
- the bare skin: in the buff.
- Also calleda thick, short coat of buffalo leather, worn esp. by English soldiers and American colonists in the 17th century.
- a buffalo.
- having the color of buff.
- made of buff leather.
- physically attractive; muscular.
- to clean or polish (metal) or give a grainless finish of high luster to (plated surfaces) with or as if with a buff stick or buff wheel.
- to polish or shine, esp. with a buffer: to buff shoes.
- to dye or stain in a buff color.
- to reduce or deaden the force of; act as a buffer.
- a blow; slap.
- buff (Thesaurus)