Meaning of butter
Pronunciation: (but'ur), [key]
- the fatty portion of milk, separating as a soft whitish or yellowish solid when milk or cream is agitated or churned.
- this substance, processed for cooking and table use.
- any of various other soft spreads for bread: apple butter; peanut butter.
- any of various substances of butterlike consistency, as various metallic chlorides, and certain vegetable oils solid at ordinary temperatures.
- to put butter on or in; spread or grease with butter.
- to apply a liquefied bonding material to (a piece or area), as mortar to a course of bricks.
- to cover (edges to be welded together) with a preliminary surface of the weld metal.
- to flatter someone in order to gain a favor: He suspected that they were buttering him up when everyone suddenly started being nice to him.
- butter (Thesaurus)