candidate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (n.kan'di-dāt", -ditv.kan'di-dāt"), [key]
— n., v., -dat•ed, -dat•ing.
- a person who seeks an office, honor, etc.: a candidate for governor.
- a person who is selected by others as a contestant for an office, honor, etc.
- a person who is deserving of or seems destined for a certain end or fate: Such a reckless spender is a candidate for the poorhouse.
- a student studying for a degree: Candidates for the B.A. will have to meet certain minimum requirements.
- to become a candidate for service as a new minister of a church; preach before a congregation that is seeking a new minister.
- candidate (Thesaurus)