cantilever: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kan'tl-ē"vur, -ev"ur), [key]
- any rigid structural member projecting from a vertical support, esp. one in which the projection is great in relation to the depth, so that the upper part is in tension and the lower part in compression.
- any rigid construction extending horizontally well beyond its vertical support, used as a structural element of a bridgebuilding foundation, etc.
- a form of wing construction in which no external bracing is used.
- a bracket for supporting a balcony, cornice, etc.
- to project in the manner of a cantilever.
- to construct in the manner of a cantilever.
- cantilever (Thesaurus)