Meaning of cardinal
Pronunciation: (kär'dn-l), [key]
- of prime importance; chief; principal: of cardinal significance.
- of the color cardinal.
- a high ecclesiastic appointed by the pope to the College of Cardinals and ranking above every other ecclesiastic but the pope.
- Also calleda crested grosbeak, Cardinalis cardinalis, of North America, the male of which is bright red.
- any of various similar birds.
- a deep, rich red color.
- a woman's short cloak with a hood, originally made of scarlet cloth and popularly worn in the 18th century.
- cardinal (Thesaurus)