chatter: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (chat'ur), [key]
- to talk rapidly in a foolish or purposeless way; jabber.
- to utter a succession of quick, inarticulate, speechlike sounds, as monkeys or certain birds.
- to make a rapid clicking noise by striking together: His teeth were chattering from the cold.
- (of a cutting tool or piece of metal) to vibrate during cutting so as to produce surface flaws on the work.
- to utter rapidly or purposelessly.
- to cause to chatter, as the teeth from cold.
- purposeless or foolish talk.
- a series of waves or ridges on the surface of a piece of metal that has been imperfectly drawn or extruded.
- the act or sound of chattering.
- chatter (Thesaurus)