Meaning of chief
Pronunciation: (chēf), [key]
- the head or leader of an organized body of people; the person highest in authority: the chief of police.
- the head or ruler of a tribe or clan: an Indian chief.
- (cap.)a title of some advisers to the Chief of Staff, who do not, in most instances, command the troop units of their arms or services: Chief of Engineers; Chief Signal Officer.
- boss or leader: We'll have to talk to the chief about this.
- the upper area of an escutcheon.
- an ordinary occupying this area.
- editor in chief; commander in chief.
- in the chief position; highest in rank (used in combination):editor in chief; commander in chief.
- Heraldry.in the upper part of an escutcheon.
- highest in rank or authority: the chief priest; the chief administrator.
- most important; principal: his chief merit; the chief difficulty.
- chiefly; principally.
- chief (Thesaurus)