Meaning of classification
Pronunciation: (klas"u-fi-kā'shun), [key]
- the act of classifying.
- the result of classifying or being classified.
- one of the groups or classes into which things may be or have been classified.
- the assignment of organisms to groups within a system of categories distinguished by structure, origin, etc. The usual series of categories is phylum (or, esp. in botany, division), class, order, family, genus, species, and variety. See table under
- the category, as restricted, confidential, secret, or top secret, to which information, a document, etc., is assigned, as by a government or military agency, based on the degree of protection considered necessary to safeguard it from unauthorized use.
- any of various systems for arranging books and other materials, esp. according to subject or format.
- classification (Thesaurus)