clout: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (klout), [key]
- a blow, esp. with the hand; cuff: The bully gave him a painful clout on the head.
- pull; strong influence; muscle, esp. political power: a wealthy campaign contributor with clout at city hall.
- a long hit, esp. an extra-base hit: A hard clout to deep center field drove in the winning run.
- the mark or target shot at, esp. in long-distance shooting.
- a shot that hits the mark.
- Also calleda nail for attaching sheet metal to wood, having a short shank with a broad head.
- a patch or piece of cloth or other material used to mend something.
- any worthless piece of cloth; rag.
- an article of clothing (usually used contemptuously).
- to strike, esp. with the hand; cuff.
- to bandage.
- to patch; mend.
- clout (Thesaurus)