Meaning of coattail
Pronunciation: (kōt'tāl"), [key]
- the back of the skirt on a man's coat or jacket.
- one of the two back parts of the skirt of a coat, esp. one of the tails on a tail coat.
- aided by association with another person: The senator rode into office on the President's coattails.
- immediately after or as a result of: His decline in popularity followed on the coattails of the scandal.
- gained by association with another, esp. with a successful or celebrated person: coattail benefits.
- coattail (Thesaurus)