Meaning of commonwealth
Pronunciation: (kom'un-welth"), [key]
- (cap.) a group of sovereign states and their dependencies associated by their own choice and linked with common objectives and interests: the British Commonwealth.
- (cap.) a federation of states: the Commonwealth of Australia.
- (cap.) a self-governing territory associated with the U.S.: official designation of Puerto Rico.
- (cap.)the English government from the abolition of the monarchy in 1649 until the establishment of the Protectorate in 1653, sometimes extended to include the restoration of Charles II in 1660.
- (cap.) the official designation (rather than “State”) of four states of the U.S.: Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.
- any group of persons united by some common interest.
- the whole body of people of a nation or state; the body politic.
- a state in which the supreme power is held by the people; a republican or democratic state.
- the public welfare.
- commonwealth (Thesaurus)