Meaning of compatible
Pronunciation: (kum-pat'u-bul), [key]
- capable of existing or living together in harmony: the most compatible married couple I know.
- able to exist together with something else: Prejudice is not compatible with true religion.
- consistent; congruous (often fol. by with): His claims are not compatible with the facts.
- (of software) capable of being run on another computer without change.
- (of hardware) capable of being connected to another device without the use of special equipment or software.
- (of a device, signal, etc.) capable of being used with equipment in a system without the need for special modification or conversion.
- noting a system of television in which color broadcasts can be received on ordinary sets in black and white.
- something, as a machine or piece of electronic equipment, that is designed to perform the same tasks as another, often in the same way and using virtually identical parts, programmed instructions, etc.: Software written for one computer will probably run on its close compatibles.
- compatible (Thesaurus)