competition: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kom"pi-tish'un), [key]
- the act of competing; rivalry for supremacy, a prize, etc.: The competition between the two teams was bitter.
- a contest for some prize, honor, or advantage: Both girls entered the competition.
- the rivalry offered by a competitor: The small merchant gets powerful competition from the chain stores.
- a competitor or competitors: What is your competition offering?
- rivalry between two or more persons or groups for an object desired in common, usually resulting in a victor and a loser but not necessarily involving the destruction of the latter.
- the struggle among organisms, both of the same and of different species, for food, space, and other vital requirements.
- competition (Thesaurus)