Meaning of compressor
Pronunciation: (kum-pres'ur), [key]
- a person or thing that compresses.
- a muscle that compresses some part of the body.
- an instrument for compressing a part of the body.
- a pump or other machine for reducing volume and increasing pressure of gases in order to condense the gases, drive pneumatically powered machinery, etc.
- a transducer that produces an output with a range of voltages whose ratio is smaller than that of the range of the input signal. Cf. expander (def. 2).
- compressor (Thesaurus)