Meaning of consistory
Pronunciation: (kun-sis'tu-rē), [key]
— pl. -ries.
- any of various ecclesiastical councils or tribunals.
- the place where such a council or tribunal meets.
- the meeting of any such body.
- a solemn assembly of the whole body of cardinals, summoned and presided over by the pope.
- a diocesan court for dealing with ecclesiastical and spiritual questions, held in the cathedral church and presided over by the bishop, the bishop's chancellor, or the commissary.
- (in certain Reformed churches) the governing board of a local church or congregation.
- any assembly or council.
- a council chamber.
- consistory (Thesaurus)