Meaning of crescent
Pronunciation: (kres'unt), [key]
- a shape resembling a segment of a ring tapering to points at the ends.
- something, as a roll or cookie, having this shape.
- the figure of the moon in its first or last quarter, resembling a segment of a ring tapering to points at the ends. See diag. undermoon.
- the similar figure of Mercury and Venus on either side of inferior conjunction, when seen through a telescope.
- the emblem of Turkey or of Islam.
- the power, religion, or civilization of Turkey or of Islam.
- Also calleda musical percussion instrument of Turkish origin, consisting of a pole bearing a crescent-shaped metal plate, topped with a pavillon, and hung with small bells.
- a curved street, often having solid façades of unified architectural design.
- the curve or curved portion of a street.
- a representation of a crescent moon, horns upward unless otherwise specified, used as the cadency mark of a second son.
- shaped like a crescent.
- increasing; growing.
- crescent (Thesaurus)