dairy: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (dâr'ē), [key]
— n., pl. adj. dair•ies,
- an establishment, as a room, building, or buildings, where milk and cream are kept and butter and cheese are made.
- a shop or company that sells milk, butter, etc.
- the business of a dairy farm, concerned with the production and treatment of milk and cream and the manufacture of butter and cheese.
- (in Jewish dietary law) dairy products.
- of or pertaining to a dairy or a dairy farm.
- of, for, or pertaining to milk, cream, butter, cheese, etc.: dairy products; the dairy case at a supermarket.
- (in Jewish dietary law) of or pertaining to those foods, including all milk products, eggs, fish, vegetables, etc., that may be eaten at a meal in which milk is served, in contrast to meat and meat products, which may not.
- dairy (Thesaurus)