Dakota: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (du-kō'tu), [key]
- a former territory in the United States: divided into the states of North Dakota and South Dakota 1889.
- North Dakota or South Dakota.
- North Dakota and South Dakota.
- Also calleda member of the largest tribe of the Siouan stock of North American Indians, who originally occupied Minnesota and Wisconsin and later migrated westward to the Great Plains.
- Santee (defs. 3, 4).
- a Siouan language spoken by the Dakota and Assiniboin Indians.
- dakota (Thesaurus)