Meaning of deadwood
Pronunciation: (ded'wood"), [key]
- the dead branches on a tree; dead branches or trees.
- useless or burdensome persons or things: He cut the deadwood from his staff.
- (in writing) unnecessary words, phrases, or exposition; expendable verbiage.
- a solid construction, serving only as reinforcement, located between the keel of a vessel and the stem or sternpost.
- pins remaining on the alley after having been knocked down by the ball.
- Rummy.cards in a hand that have not been included in sets and are usually counted as points against the holder.
- Poker.cards that have been discarded.
- deadwood (Thesaurus)