declare: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (di-klâr'), [key]
— v., -clared, -clar•ing.
- to make known or state clearly, esp. in explicit or formal terms: to declare one's position in a controversy.
- to announce officially; proclaim: to declare a state of emergency; to declare a winner.
- to state emphatically: He declared that the allegation was a lie.
- to manifest; reveal; show: Her attendance at the rally declared her political allegiance.
- to make due statement of, esp. goods for duty or income for taxation.
- to make (a dividend) payable.
- to bid (a trump suit or no-trump).
- to make a declaration.
- to proclaim oneself (usually fol. by for or against): He declared against the proposal.
- (of a team) to surrender a turn at bat in an innings before ten players are put out.
- declare (Thesaurus)