Meaning of demise
Pronunciation: (di-mīz'), [key]
— n., v., -mised, -mis•ing.
- death or decease.
- termination of existence or operation: the demise of the empire.
- a death or decease occasioning the transfer of an estate.
- a conveyance or transfer of an estate.
- transfer of sovereignty, as by the death or deposition of the sovereign.
- to transfer (an estate or the like) for a limited time; lease.
- to transfer (sovereignty), as by the death or abdication of the sovereign.
- to pass by bequest, inheritance, or succession.
- demise (Thesaurus)