Meaning of dividend
Pronunciation: (div'i-dend"), [key]
- a number that is to be divided by a divisor.
- a sum out of an insolvent estate paid to creditors.
- a pro-rata share in an amount to be distributed.
- a sum of money paid to shareholders of a corporation out of earnings.
- (in participating insurance) a distribution to a policyholder of a portion of the premium not needed by the company to pay claims or to meet expenses.
- a share of anything divided.
- anything received as a bonus, reward, or in addition to or beyond what is expected: Swimming is fun, and gives you the dividend of better health.
- dividend (Thesaurus)