dropout: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (drop'out"), [key]
- an act or instance of dropping out.
- a student who withdraws before completing a course of instruction.
- a student who withdraws from high school after having reached the legal age to do so.
- a person who withdraws from established society, esp. to pursue an alternate lifestyle.
- a person who withdraws from a competition, job, task, etc.: the first dropout from the presidential race.
- a drop kick made by a defending team from within its own 25-yd. (23-m) line as a result of a touchdown or of the ball's having touched or gone outside of a touch-in-goal line or the dead-ball line.
- Also calleda halftone negative or plate in which dots have been eliminated from highlights by continued etching, burning in, opaquing, or the like.
- Also calledthe loss of portions of the information on a recorded magnetic tape due to contamination of the magnetic medium or poor contact with the tape heads.
- dropout (Thesaurus)