Meaning of drown
Pronunciation: (droun), [key]
- to die under water or other liquid of suffocation.
- to kill by submerging under water or other liquid.
- to destroy or get rid of by, or as if by, immersion: He drowned his sorrows in drink.
- to flood or inundate.
- to overwhelm so as to render inaudible, as by a louder sound (often fol. by out).
- to add too much water or liquid to (a drink, food, or the like).
- to slake (lime) by covering with water and letting stand.
- The company is drowning in bad debts.
- to be overwhelmed by:The company is drowning in bad debts.
- to be covered with or enveloped in:The old movie star was drowning in mink.
- drown (Thesaurus)