Meaning of dye
Pronunciation: (dī), [key]
— n., v., dyed, dye•ing.
- a coloring material or matter.
- a liquid containing coloring matter, for imparting a particular hue to cloth, paper, etc.
- color or hue, esp. as produced by dyeing.
- of the most extreme or the worst sort: a prevaricator of the blackest dye.
- to color or stain; treat with a dye; color (cloth, hair, etc.) with a substance containing coloring matter: to dye a dress green.
- to impart (color) by means of a dye: The coloring matter dyed green.
- to impart color, as a dye: This brand dyes well.
- to become colored or absorb color when treated with a dye: This cloth dyes easily.
- dye (Thesaurus)