elastic: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (i-las'tik), [key]
- capable of returning to its original length, shape, etc., after being stretched, deformed, compressed, or expanded: an elastic waistband; elastic fiber.
- spontaneously expansive, as gases.
- flexible; accommodating; adaptable; tolerant: elastic rules and regulations.
- springing back or rebounding; springy: He walks with an elastic step.
- readily recovering from depression or exhaustion; buoyant: an elastic temperament.
- relatively responsive to change, as to a proportionate increase in demand as the result of a decrease in price. Cf.(def. 2).
- of, pertaining to, or noting a body having the property of elasticity.
- webbing, or material in the form of a band, made elastic, as with strips of rubber.
- something made from this material, as a garter.
- elastic (Thesaurus)