Meaning of elect
Pronunciation: (i-lekt'), [key]
- to choose or select by vote, as for an office: to elect a mayor.
- to determine in favor of (a method, course of action, etc.).
- to pick out; choose: First-year students may elect French, Spanish, or German.
- (of God) to select for divine mercy or favor, esp. for salvation.
- to choose or select someone or something, as by voting.
- selected, as for an office, but not yet inducted (usually used in combination following a noun): the governor-elect.
- select or choice: an elect circle of artists.
- chosen by God, esp. for eternal life.
- elect (Thesaurus)