Meaning of elective
Pronunciation: (i-lek'tiv), [key]
- pertaining to the principle of electing to an office, position, etc.
- chosen by election, as an official.
- bestowed by or derived from election, as an office.
- having the power or right of electing to office, as a body of persons.
- open to choice; optional; not required: an elective subject in college; elective surgery.
- selecting for combination or action; tending to combine with certain substances in preference to others: elective attraction.
- an optional study; a course that a student may select from among alternatives.
- elective (Thesaurus)