elegiac: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (el"i-jī'uk, -ak, i-lē'jē-ak"), [key]
- used in, suitable for, or resembling an elegy.
- expressing sorrow or lamentation: elegiac strains.
- noting a distich the first line of which is a dactylic hexameter and the second a pentameter, or a verse differing from the hexameter by suppression of the arsis or metrically unaccented part of the third and the sixth foot.
- an elegiac or distich verse.
- a poem in such distichs or verses.
- elegiac (Thesaurus)