Meaning of employ
Pronunciation: (em-ploi'), [key]
- to hire or engage the services of (a person or persons); provide employment for; have or keep in one's service: This factory employs thousands of people.
- to keep busy or at work; engage the attentions of: He employs himself by reading after work.
- to make use of (an instrument, means, etc.); use; apply: to employ a hammer to drive a nail.
- to occupy or devote (time, energies, etc.): I employ my spare time in reading. I employ all my energies in writing.
- employment; service: to be in someone's employ.
- employ (Thesaurus)