Meaning of entertain
Pronunciation: (en"tur-tān'), [key]
- to hold the attention of pleasantly or agreeably; divert; amuse.
- to have as a guest; provide food, lodging, etc., for; show hospitality to.
- to admit into the mind; consider: He never entertained such ideas.
- to hold in the mind; harbor; cherish: They secretly entertained thoughts of revenge.
- to maintain or keep up.
- to give admittance or reception to; receive.
- to exercise hospitality; entertain company; provide entertainment for guests: They loved to talk, dance, and entertain.
- entertain (Thesaurus)