Meaning of example
Pronunciation: (ig-zam'pul, -zäm'-), [key]
— n., v., -pled, -pling.
- one of a number of things, or a part of something, taken to show the character of the whole: This painting is an example of his early work.
- a pattern or model, as of something to be imitated or avoided: to set a good example.
- an instance serving for illustration; specimen: The case histories gave carefully detailed examples of this disease.
- an instance illustrating a rule or method, as a mathematical problem proposed for solution.
- an instance, esp. of punishment, serving as a warning to others: Public executions were meant to be examples to the populace.
- a precedent; parallel case: an action without example.
- to give or be an example of; exemplify (used in the passive).
- example (Thesaurus)