Meaning of federal
Pronunciation: (fed'ur-ul), [key]
- pertaining to or of the nature of a union of states under a central government distinct from the individual governments of the separate states: the federal government of the U.S.
- of, pertaining to, or noting such a central government: federal offices.
- of or pertaining to the Federalists or to the Federalist party.
- supporting the principles of the Federalist party.
- (in the Civil War) pertaining to or supporting the Union government.
- relating to or adhering to the support of the Constitution.
- (cap.) pertaining to or designating the styles of the decorative arts and architecture current in the U.S. from c1780 to c1830.
- of or pertaining to a compact or a league, esp. a league between nations or states.
- an advocate of federation or federalism.
- a Federalist.
- an adherent of the Union government during the Civil War; Unionist.
- a soldier in the Federal army.
- federal (Thesaurus)